The exact timeline of each slip and fall accident claim will vary depending on the complications in the case. If you or your loved one have been a victim of a slip and fall case, it is strongly suggested to contact an injury lawyer immediately to maximize your chances to receive your compensation without any delay. When doing so, there are several very important factors to keep in mind when filing your slip and fall injury claim to not further delay your case.
Each slip, trip, and fall accident can be unique, but the overall steps involved in such an accident are as mentioned below:
- As soon as you contact a lawyer, your attorney will review the different factors involved in your case and investigate the case to find the at-fault party. If the facts involved in the case are complicated this investigation can take some time.
- Once the lawyer has identified the party responsible for the accident and found out a total of your financial and non-financial expenses, they will submit a claim to demand settlement from the at-fault party. If the responsible party agrees to pay the settlement or negotiates for an out-of-court settlement your case may not have to go to trial.
- However, if all parties are not able to reach an agreement, a lawsuit may be filed. It takes 1-2 months to file the lawsuit but it can sometimes drag longer depending on the defendant attorney.
- After the initial plea is filed, the discovery phase begins where both sides are required to provide evidence they will be using at the trial. Once the trial begins the judge and jury will listen to both parties and provide the verdict and may award monetary compensation.
- If the defendant is of the opinion that the verdict is unfavorable, they may appeal the ruling, which can delay your compensation.
Factors Delaying the Case
There are multiple factors that can slow down your claims case. Insurance companies understand that most victims who have suffered injuries are in need of immediate financial assistance. Hence, they try to drag the case in the court for a longer time if they are defending an injury claim.
If the plaintiff fails to move quickly and file for a claim then it may cause potential delays in resolving the case. Some other factors that can contribute to delays include:
- Incomplete medical treatments
- Complicated cases that rely on further investigation to determine the at-fault party
- Difficulties faced in serving the defendant with the lawsuit
- Disputes involved while determining the parties involved in the lawsuit
How can a good personal injury lawyer assist you?
There are several factors that govern a slip and fall case. By seeking help from a personal injury attorney, you can be assured that you do not get caught up in the nuances of claims compensation and can continue on your path to recovery. Slip and fall cases may seem overwhelming but a knowledgeable and experienced lawyer will help you prepare your case and ensure you get the compensation you deserve to bring your life back to normal.